Forums are in read-only mode. Data has been backed up but be sure to save anything you want.

Donator stuff

• survey etc.

It would be really easy to make a page where donators log into the Steam API to elevate the membership level of their Byond account to whatever donation level they have. One ckey per account; they’ll have to contact us to add or change their ckey(s).

Client’s perspective aside, I’m thinking the simplest way of relaying this information to Byond is to make the server fetch all donator ckeys on round start via HTTP. Something like:

Request: 127.0.0.1/getbyonddonators.php

Response:

jimbob420:2:-15264561579849
    someguy:2:45949498715
    someotherguy:1:64191564897441

Where the syntax of each line is ckey:membership:steamid64.
    getbyonddonators.php would only be accessible by the local machine to prevent outsiders from getting their hands on critical information like ckeys and a list of donators.

I’d like your thoughts or concerns about the practicality, performance or security of that system. Would also be nice to start thinking about what perks the donators get.

• survey etc.

It would be really easy to make a page where donators log into the Steam API to elevate the membership level of their Byond account to whatever donation level they have. One ckey per account; they’ll have to contact us to add or change their ckey(s).

Client’s perspective aside, I’m thinking the simplest way of relaying this information to Byond is to make the server fetch all donator ckeys on round start via HTTP. Something like:

Request: 127.0.0.1/getbyonddonators.php

Response:

jimbob420:2:-15264561579849
    someguy:2:45949498715
    someotherguy:1:64191564897441

Where the syntax of each line is ckey:membership:steamid64.
    getbyonddonators.php would only be accessible by the local machine to prevent outsiders from getting their hands on critical information like ckeys and a list of donators.

I’d like your thoughts or concerns about the practicality, performance or security of that system. Would also be nice to start thinking about what perks the donators get.

• Can it be integrated with a player’s saved profile and such? Wouldn’t it be more “tidy” like that?

• How would you do that?

• Aren’t player profiles saved server side?

• so long as it’s not pay-to-win kinda shit. maybe access to special hairstyles, jumpsuits, cosmetic changes only, and maybe a little star next to their OOC chat or something like that.

• Donators should have the option to change their OOC color.

• Instead of spawning in the regular area when they join late, they spawn on a cool-looking VIP shuttle that has all sorts of foods and such?

• @Rover:

Aren’t player profiles saved server side?

Strictly read only. The volatile data is in text files because they don’t lag like shit or crash when trying to fetch info.

• @big:

so long as it’s not pay-to-win kinda shit.

We will never give donators an advantage in playing a game over ordinary members, no matter the game.

• Nox backpacks

• i just polled the server on ideas and the consensus is basically:

• coats
    • hats
    • flashing rainbow eyes
    • an armband slot on the HUD (or a badge slot or medal slot or whatever)
    • armbands/badges/etc. (guess what kind takara wants HEIL)

• Having donator shit on nox station would make it drop severely in popularity. Nobody wants that kind of shit on space station 13.

• Items are a bad idea since donators would end up being targets for their inventory and the spawning code isn’t too flexible.

I’m not sure how feasible flashing eyes are. The only good way I can think of implementing them is as an icon overlay.

OOC colors are a good idea but newbies will end up thinking donators are admins. Maybe make it so normals have a gray ooc, gold members have gold ooc and diamond members have a sky blue ooc. Or maybe it just colors their names, unlike admin messages which color the entire text.

I was thinking we could limit extra save slots to donators (normals have one, golds have two, diamonds have three), but the preference saving seems too rigid to make it worth implementing.

Perhaps remove or severely cut back on the adminhelp time limit for donators.

Give donators the ability to change their ghost icon?

Also I’m still awaiting feedback or suggestions regarding the donator linking system.

• as for the ghost thing i can sprite E/W/N facing sprites for donator ghosts.

but i kinda agree with atomic. d2k5 (even though drew raves about it) was shit partly because of their donation begging/perks. if anything is implemented, it has to be really subtle.

• The donator linking system is fine.

With byond, I’ll have the donor info loaded in a “pending” list to cut down on file reads. People get flagged as they log in to the server and it goes into a separate log so that on subsequent restarts, the pending list isn’t full of people who aleady have donated and received their flag.

• I’d rather have it request a list of all donators every round since it’s more flexible and only begins to become a performance consideration at around ten thousand donators.

@big:

but i kinda agree with atomic. d2k5 (even though drew raves about it) was shit partly because of their donation begging/perks. if anything is implemented, it has to be really subtle.

I’m not sure what you’re implying by “really subtle” but we’re not implementing any game-changing perks. I’m thinking stuff like pink ghosts and chat colors or maybe something like being able to set part of the MOTD (like in GMod with silver).

• The way I did gmod is to write text files named after their steamid containing their donation info. Then when they log in to gmod it would try to find the file and give them the stuff. It’s probably a shit idea in the long run and going to hurt us later. I’d like to use SQL if it wasn’t a resource hog/unstable/modules breaking. As of about 3 months ago, I’ve been using a fake SQL querying system for gmod. It doesn’t use any modules. It just sends POST requests to our webserver with the user, pass, db, and query. The PHP page then does the query and responds back with JSON containing the query data. It works pretty well. No problems thus far.

What I was thinking about doing before you made this topic was to have a central nox account you log in to with either steam or a username / password. Then that database would contain your:
    SteamID
    Forum account (linked)
    BYOND key (linked)
    Purchases
    Pointer to gmod account

Modular.

• I’d like seeing that. It would be especially nice if the returned data format was modular like in the Steam API, where you can request JSON and XML (with more to come, I assume). That’s mainly because BYOND offers no way to decode JSON and making a JSON parser with the DM language seems like quite a task (one that always works, anyway).

• the gold and diamond member ghost sounds cool
    preset colored names could also be alright

although the best idea i could think of is making surviving rounds add silver to your account, which is increased by 50% and 75% for diamond members

successful traitors would get lots of money plus the member bonus

Users

Topics