Forums are in read-only mode. Data has been backed up but be sure to save anything you want.

Obama's gay marriage comments begin shitstorm of the century

• @IDKFFS:

14th amendment.

That doesn’t prevent state laws from outlawing same-sex couples, unfortunately.

• @JusticeInACan:

That doesn’t prevent state laws from outlawing same-sex couples, unfortunately.

Wrong.

• @The:

Wrong.

No  :P

• @The:

Right.

• If you can’t consider gay people to be included under the classification of “all persons born or naturalized in the United States” then the precedent set by the 14th’s usage in Reed v Reed can at least be loosely ascribed to same-sex marriage because banning gay marriage is pretty arbitrary as there is no realistic reason why they can’t get married.  This isn’t even an issue that should have grey area, if a person is a citizen of the U.S. and is also gay then they are equal to every other citizen and the legal status of marriage shouldn’t nor can’t be denied.

• That’s because the only reason anyone can come up with is that it’s “wrong” because their own insecurities prevent them from considering viewpoints other than the ones they were brought up with.

• That and if you think in the whole evolutionary sense. Same sex couples without the ability to produce offspring seems like a highly illogical flaw.

• @IDKFFS:

Reed v Reed can at least be loosely ascribed to same-sex marriage because banning gay marriage is pretty arbitrary as there is no realistic reason why they can’t get married.

Marriage has had three purposes in history: forcing women to bear children, forging relations between families and bonding two religious people. The first two are obsolete, leaving only the last option. I might be wrong, but I think that all modern religions that perform marriage rituals are opposed to same-sex marriage, so that’s ruled out too.

You’re probably thinking of civil unions.

• I wish it would be taken care of in some manner faster because the issue of gay rights is taking up alot of Political Agenda Room when there are more serious things to attend to like the economy and foreign relations.

• @Benjy:

That and if you think in the whole evolutionary sense. Same sex couples without the ability to produce offspring seems like a highly illogical flaw.

So they haven’t bothered to try to overcome their basic instincts yet?  We don’t live in the Stone Age anymore.

• Homosexuality is a genetic mutation that strays off the evolutionary path.

• @AlCpwnage1337:

I wish it would be taken care of in some manner faster because the issue of gay rights is taking up alot of Political Agenda Room when there are more serious things to attend to like the economy and foreign relations.

Too true, however: http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/05/12/santorum-to-romney-step-up-and-use-potent-weapon-of-same-sex-marriage/?hpt=hp_t1

On a side note, turns out ending the gay ban in the military didn’t affect anyone’s morale whatsoever, surprise!

• @Kenny:

Homosexuality is a genetic mutation that strays off the evolutionary path.

us mutants will take over the world

• It’s not my place to decide what is moral or immoral, I don’t see why people care so much. I personally think that this law is just going to be continually pushed until it is passed, so I don’t see any reason to try and stop it, in fact, I really wish it would get passed already so we can focus on things that are actually important.

• @Zetanor:

Marriage has had three purposes in history: forcing women to bear children, forging relations between families and bonding two religious people. The first two are obsolete, leaving only the last option. I might be wrong, but I think that all modern religions that perform marriage rituals are opposed to same-sex marriage, so that’s ruled out too.

You’re probably thinking of civil unions.

I thought marriage’s original purpose was to protect a family’s wealth.

• That’s basically what it’s for now.  Civil unions have nowhere near the kind of protection marriage does; financial, medical (visitation rights  :ohmy:), pretty much everything is questionable in a civil union depending on the state.  Even then so, there’s still caveats LGBT people have to deal with in marriage.  Marriages in states that allow LGBT couples to marry aren’t recognized in states that don’t.

• I don’t really care what homosexuals do overall, It doesn’t hurt anyone and if you just ignore it, it doesn’t bother you at all.
    Also if for some reason you hate homosexuals, you could think about it being a genetic abnormality, in which case homosexuals will go “extinct” eventually due their dramatically reduced likelihood of passing on their genes.

• @PowerPinch:

I don’t really care what homosexuals do overall, It doesn’t hurt anyone and if you just ignore it, it doesn’t bother you at all.
    Also if for some reason you hate homosexuals, you could think about it being a genetic abnormality, in which case homosexuals will go “extinct” eventually due their dramatically reduced likelihood of passing on their genes.

says the christian.

If it’s genetic it’s probably never going to go extinct due to traits being dominant, recessive and/or dormant which means the gay gene could potentially be in every human on earth but just not active for everyone.

• @Gir:

If it’s genetic it’s probably never going to go extinct

Of course not, humans are no longer under the “survival of the fittest” rule, seeing as even the weakest and most pitiful of our species are able to thrive based on the success of our ancestors. Human evolution will now be almost entirely random, with only the people who produce more children than the norm being the ones who partially determine the future of the genome. Either way, seeing as it is expected for our population to cap at 10 billion, it’s not like homosexuality could even come close to making a dent in the population.

Users

Topics