Rules / Guide / Adding your own

• Adding your own

You will need:

• A twitch.tv account. This is currently the only provider being used (for good reason) but Livestream might come soon.

• A program to stream with. Open Broadcaster Software is an amazing free broadcasting suite. The instructions below are pretty much the same for XSplit. But XSplit is significantly more of a resource hog and costs money for the features OBS has (plus others XSplit doesn’t have).

You may also have:

• A Chatango.com group that you own (to be embeded in the page). Don’t worry about colors or styles. This is only needed if you want to use Chatango for your chat box. If not then the twitch chat will be embeded. Which I actually recommend you do. The only downside to not using Chatango is that people need a twitch.tv account to chat. But who doesn’t have one nowadays?

• A Chatango.com user account (if using Chatango).

• The choice of being a direct link to your twitch.tv page. Instead of embedding your stream here, people will be redirected to your stream page. If you want to do this, you should say so.

Once you have that you can contact me or post here with your twitch.tv account name and chatango group name. I’ll give you the OK and it should be fully automatic from there.

Rules for streamers

• Absolutely no illegal content. Although it isn’t hosted by us, I don’t want to see it. JTV will ban you for it.

• No X rated content. Again, JTV will ban you for it and we will report you for it.

• If your content is extremely boring or annoying it will be taken down. It should be somewhat interesting and not a waste of banner space. If you stream copyrighted movies and stuff, JTV will most likely take your account down.

• If you don’t broadcast for weeks straight you’ll be temporarily removed to reduce queries until you contact us.

• No trolling other streams with advertisements or false broadcast names.

Guide

Broadcast name

To set what appears at the top of the page (X is streaming Y), you can set your twitch.tv broadcast name to what you want to appear. It’s limited to 60 characters. It’s also suggested you pick the name of the game you’re playing under the broadcast name so twitch.tv users can find it easier in the games directory. If your broadcast name is set to “offline” then it will never be advertised. Use this for testing. Your stream may take a whole two minutes to be recognized by the site as online.

Your broadcasts are automatically recorded on your channel. They’re deleted after 4 days or so unless you press “Save forever” in the video options. There is no option to auto-save. Highlights are saved forever automatically. You can also have JTV upload things to your youtube account. I believe there’s a 500GB storage limit on saved forever things unless you subscribe to twitch.tv.

Aspect ratio

The website will automatically detect what aspect ratio to view in depending on the stream resolution but you can change that at the bottom of the page.

Multi

To view multiple streams at the same time, use the “Multi” link at the bottom of the page. The first user you enter is the chat that will be used. The website will automatically combine streamers if they have the exact same broadcast name, including capitals.

Open Broadcaster Software

This guide was quickly rewritten for OBS from a guide for XSplit. The way the programs work are pretty much the same but personally I get much better results with OBS in terms of resource usage, quality, and features. It’s free and updated regularly. If you really want to, it’s also open source so you can program your own plugins.

The default settings are pretty good. You may want to alter it them to get a better quality (or worse if your connection is bad). The below guideline should be the “safest” way to go. Adjust your settings until you can play smoothly and not drop any frames.

Resolution and frame rate

These can be found in the View tab.

25 FPS is the most common. 30 FPS may also be good for you if your computer can keep up. Anything higher is usually a waste.

For resolution you’ll want to match whatever aspect ratio your GAME window will be in. 1280x720 (16:9) and 1024x768 (4:3) should be the absolute maximum if you have a very good computer and upload speed. The game window can be higher, it should just match your ratio. Here’s a list of common resolutions used for streaming:

16:9
      1280x720
      1024x576
      960x540
      854x480
      640x360

4:3
      1024x768
      960x720
      800x600
      640x480
      400x300
      320x240

The bigger the resolution, the harder your computer will work to encode frames.

Quality, bitrate, sound bitrate

Quality is fine at the default of 8 but you can adjust it until your stream is smooth.

Bit rate is directly dependent on your upload speed. You can set a maximum bit rate and a buffer. The buffer should be anywhere from 1.5x - 2x your bit rate. Too little buffer and you might get skipped / dropped frames. Too much and viewers will be lagged behind. You’ll need more kbps depending on your quality + resolution + frame rate. Quality 10, 1280x720, 30FPS would need about 2500kbps (2.5 Mbps upstream!). Setting the bitrate too high may also limit your viewers since they need to actually download it all.

Sound will sound passable at 11KHz but a good sound quality would be 128000 bps at 44KHz. Stereo sound obviously sounds better since you get a left and right channel. Keep in mind this is added on to your video bit rate.

• Adding your own

You will need:

• A twitch.tv account. This is currently the only provider being used (for good reason) but Livestream might come soon.

• A program to stream with. Open Broadcaster Software is an amazing free broadcasting suite. The instructions below are pretty much the same for XSplit. But XSplit is significantly more of a resource hog and costs money for the features OBS has (plus others XSplit doesn’t have).

You may also have:

• A Chatango.com group that you own (to be embeded in the page). Don’t worry about colors or styles. This is only needed if you want to use Chatango for your chat box. If not then the twitch chat will be embeded. Which I actually recommend you do. The only downside to not using Chatango is that people need a twitch.tv account to chat. But who doesn’t have one nowadays?

• A Chatango.com user account (if using Chatango).

• The choice of being a direct link to your twitch.tv page. Instead of embedding your stream here, people will be redirected to your stream page. If you want to do this, you should say so.

Once you have that you can contact me or post here with your twitch.tv account name and chatango group name. I’ll give you the OK and it should be fully automatic from there.

Rules for streamers

• Absolutely no illegal content. Although it isn’t hosted by us, I don’t want to see it. JTV will ban you for it.

• No X rated content. Again, JTV will ban you for it and we will report you for it.

• If your content is extremely boring or annoying it will be taken down. It should be somewhat interesting and not a waste of banner space. If you stream copyrighted movies and stuff, JTV will most likely take your account down.

• If you don’t broadcast for weeks straight you’ll be temporarily removed to reduce queries until you contact us.

• No trolling other streams with advertisements or false broadcast names.

Guide

Broadcast name

To set what appears at the top of the page (X is streaming Y), you can set your twitch.tv broadcast name to what you want to appear. It’s limited to 60 characters. It’s also suggested you pick the name of the game you’re playing under the broadcast name so twitch.tv users can find it easier in the games directory. If your broadcast name is set to “offline” then it will never be advertised. Use this for testing. Your stream may take a whole two minutes to be recognized by the site as online.

Your broadcasts are automatically recorded on your channel. They’re deleted after 4 days or so unless you press “Save forever” in the video options. There is no option to auto-save. Highlights are saved forever automatically. You can also have JTV upload things to your youtube account. I believe there’s a 500GB storage limit on saved forever things unless you subscribe to twitch.tv.

Aspect ratio

The website will automatically detect what aspect ratio to view in depending on the stream resolution but you can change that at the bottom of the page.

Multi

To view multiple streams at the same time, use the “Multi” link at the bottom of the page. The first user you enter is the chat that will be used. The website will automatically combine streamers if they have the exact same broadcast name, including capitals.

Open Broadcaster Software

This guide was quickly rewritten for OBS from a guide for XSplit. The way the programs work are pretty much the same but personally I get much better results with OBS in terms of resource usage, quality, and features. It’s free and updated regularly. If you really want to, it’s also open source so you can program your own plugins.

The default settings are pretty good. You may want to alter it them to get a better quality (or worse if your connection is bad). The below guideline should be the “safest” way to go. Adjust your settings until you can play smoothly and not drop any frames.

Resolution and frame rate

These can be found in the View tab.

25 FPS is the most common. 30 FPS may also be good for you if your computer can keep up. Anything higher is usually a waste.

For resolution you’ll want to match whatever aspect ratio your GAME window will be in. 1280x720 (16:9) and 1024x768 (4:3) should be the absolute maximum if you have a very good computer and upload speed. The game window can be higher, it should just match your ratio. Here’s a list of common resolutions used for streaming:

16:9
      1280x720
      1024x576
      960x540
      854x480
      640x360

4:3
      1024x768
      960x720
      800x600
      640x480
      400x300
      320x240

The bigger the resolution, the harder your computer will work to encode frames.

Quality, bitrate, sound bitrate

Quality is fine at the default of 8 but you can adjust it until your stream is smooth.

Bit rate is directly dependent on your upload speed. You can set a maximum bit rate and a buffer. The buffer should be anywhere from 1.5x - 2x your bit rate. Too little buffer and you might get skipped / dropped frames. Too much and viewers will be lagged behind. You’ll need more kbps depending on your quality + resolution + frame rate. Quality 10, 1280x720, 30FPS would need about 2500kbps (2.5 Mbps upstream!). Setting the bitrate too high may also limit your viewers since they need to actually download it all.

Sound will sound passable at 11KHz but a good sound quality would be 128000 bps at 44KHz. Stereo sound obviously sounds better since you get a left and right channel. Keep in mind this is added on to your video bit rate.

• Might as well try. There’s a distinct lack of indie game streaming.

http://www.twitch.tv/zetanor
    http://–-------ZZ---------.chatango.com

• added.

• yeah

• change my mind

• Got a working streamer and connection, so why not…

http://www.twitch.tv/acelite
    http://ace-chat.chatango.com

• http://www.twitch.tv/gt4nox
    http://gt4nox.chatango.com/

and i cant be (add game): (XSplit is currently in beta. It can be purchased at a beta discount for $40 / 2 years.) damnit.

• All set.

• http://mappingandshit.chatango.com/
    http://www.twitch.tv/chiraedisk

Its just to show progress on maps I’m working on at the moment.  There are currently four projects that I can think of.  It could be interesting(not blocked the fuck out) to watched.

(Pardon for the first song on my saved video)

• It isn’t.

• http://www.twitch.tv/zeldabro

http://zeldabrochat.chatango.com/

also when you say ‘have the same broadcast name’ what exactly do you mean?

• Above two added.

@Zeldadude:

also when you say ‘have the same broadcast name’ what exactly do you mean?

Exactly as I said it means.

• It would be nice if someone could make a banner to put on streams for noxiousnet.
    Because I’m sure nobody would see it anywhere else on the channel and it’s easy to add static images to a broadcast.

I would do it myself, but I’m not that good at artsy stuff.

Edit: Or I could just use the banner at the top.

• You have to make a chatango group and post the link to that.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.