TERA

• Administrators

Game is now free to play with pretty much no pay-to-win features. Let’s get the gank patrol going again.

Apply to the guild NoXiousNet on the Mount Tyranus server.

We have people higher and lower level so if we get a lot of people playing it shouldn’t be hard to group up.

We use mumble for VoIP communication: http://www.noxiousnet.com/mumble

~~And with that, the 1st CB period ended. Next one is in 2 weeks. I can say I’m pretty impressed and I’ll be buying it. Guess I’ll put up some info I found out while playing.

The game runs on Unreal 3. Despite this, it seems very nicely edited. The game looks amazing and combat is fluid and responsive. Basically Crysis: Korean MMO. The game is about 20GB-25GB with an optional 15GB high quality texture pack that was not included in the NA beta due to the already enormous size of the client. The client can also be freely modified (sounds, textures, movies, etc.) There is an uncensoring mod, Korean voice mod, Japanese voice mod, Japanese movie mod, and a HQ texture mod already.

There will be a complete wipe once closed beta is over. This includes people who bought the game to play all the beta periods. There is then an open beta for anyone followed by a “head start” period for people who bought the game. The game releases officially on May 1st.

Difficulty: I purposely went and fought some mobs a few levels above me in the 2nd or 3rd area. You can’t hold left click to win against them. You’ll die in 1 or 2 fights. They were hitting me for 150+ and some were capable of knocking you down. The tutorial area seriously needs a revamp as I’ve heard of tons of people flat out quitting before leaving the tutorial island due to the easiness. Some mobs are easy to predict, some arent. There’s also swarm mobs which are basically 5-10 mobs that are weaker but swarm you at once.

Combat, including PvP is very skewed towards actual player skill. There’s no auto-target or even lock-on. You can hit multiple things at once and it’s swipe based (sword model collides with something, it gets hit). Players can be knocked down, stunned, etc. but you need to actually land the moves that do this. You need to be slightly retarded or have your dodge skill on cool down (3 seconds?) to not be able to avoid most special attacks due to their distinct animation, sound, and wind up time. You have health and mana. Mana is gained only through using your combo (basic attack) skill. Each hit gives you mana. Just about all skills cost mana and also have a cool down time on them. If you can keep your opponent in your combo attack, you can effectively disable them from using special moves. You move slightly slower while in combat and even slower while in combat involving players. You do not suffer a movement penalty if you flee from battle without attacking. Attacking once will make you slower until the battle is over or you go out of range. Players can’t die while in duels but the loser will have 1HP. Winner doesn’t regain health. There are death matches, battle grounds, and some kind of objective based pvp thing that I was too low of a level to participate in. You can receive coins of some sort through these that you can redeem for special items on NPCs. World PvP is as far as I know just about being a big ass and killing everyone for no reason. It’s not Devil May Cry or anything but it’s actually fun, especially if you play wow clones.

There are an assortment of races. Some are gender locked. No classes are race locked. You can play any class as any race with only very minor differences due to racial abilities. There are no factions or pre-set racial “teams” but there are three capital cities that you start out in depending on your race. Character customization is very nice and is detailed enough that you can edit facial structure.

There are PvE and PvP servers. PvE servers don’t have any world pvp besides duels (unless in guild vs. guild?). PvP servers have some sort of territory control / politics thing and the guild that owns it gets to decide if it’s open PvP or not. In open PvP areas you get a skill at level 12 that lets you declare yourself an outlaw. In this state you can attack anyone and be attacked by anyone. 60 second cool down to turn it off I think. There’s some kind of penalty for dieing but I don’t know what it is. Haven’t died yet to find out. If you kill 6 people you get some kind of infamy state which I don’t know what it does. The second closed beta is supposed to have a PvP server to test on.

Quests are abundant so you’ll never have to flat-out grind but are so far very cookie cutter “kill X for Y amount of times”, “talk to person X, then talk to person Y”, and “gather X amount of Y”. There was only one quest that deviated from this and it was an invasion type quest where you had to protect an NPC from a swarm of NPCs that increased in difficulty over time. Can’t really comment on it too much because I’ve only done quests up to about level 15.

The game is moderately instanced. There are servers as any MP game and then there are ~20 “channels”. Each channel holds in my best guess maybe 256 people per zone. A zone is basically what you would call a map in any other game. Maps are fairly huge. I can guess from the world map there are 15-20 zones including tutorial island and the capital cities although the web site claims 80+. Dungeon “raids” are instanced as far as I know. You can only have one character per server but I think this is only for the beta. Characters can’t be played on servers they’re not created on. No mention of transfers.

The game is subscription based with no premium features. The game costs $50.00 for a digital copy, $80.00 for a physical collector’s edition. Pre-ording gives you a few in-game items. The collector’s edition comes with three extra in-game items. You can buy a digital upgrade that gives you the items for $10. The game is the standard $15.00 a month, first month is included. There is a sales tax.~~

• Administrators

Game is now free to play with pretty much no pay-to-win features. Let’s get the gank patrol going again.

Apply to the guild NoXiousNet on the Mount Tyranus server.

We have people higher and lower level so if we get a lot of people playing it shouldn’t be hard to group up.

We use mumble for VoIP communication: http://www.noxiousnet.com/mumble

~~And with that, the 1st CB period ended. Next one is in 2 weeks. I can say I’m pretty impressed and I’ll be buying it. Guess I’ll put up some info I found out while playing.

The game runs on Unreal 3. Despite this, it seems very nicely edited. The game looks amazing and combat is fluid and responsive. Basically Crysis: Korean MMO. The game is about 20GB-25GB with an optional 15GB high quality texture pack that was not included in the NA beta due to the already enormous size of the client. The client can also be freely modified (sounds, textures, movies, etc.) There is an uncensoring mod, Korean voice mod, Japanese voice mod, Japanese movie mod, and a HQ texture mod already.

There will be a complete wipe once closed beta is over. This includes people who bought the game to play all the beta periods. There is then an open beta for anyone followed by a “head start” period for people who bought the game. The game releases officially on May 1st.

Difficulty: I purposely went and fought some mobs a few levels above me in the 2nd or 3rd area. You can’t hold left click to win against them. You’ll die in 1 or 2 fights. They were hitting me for 150+ and some were capable of knocking you down. The tutorial area seriously needs a revamp as I’ve heard of tons of people flat out quitting before leaving the tutorial island due to the easiness. Some mobs are easy to predict, some arent. There’s also swarm mobs which are basically 5-10 mobs that are weaker but swarm you at once.

Combat, including PvP is very skewed towards actual player skill. There’s no auto-target or even lock-on. You can hit multiple things at once and it’s swipe based (sword model collides with something, it gets hit). Players can be knocked down, stunned, etc. but you need to actually land the moves that do this. You need to be slightly retarded or have your dodge skill on cool down (3 seconds?) to not be able to avoid most special attacks due to their distinct animation, sound, and wind up time. You have health and mana. Mana is gained only through using your combo (basic attack) skill. Each hit gives you mana. Just about all skills cost mana and also have a cool down time on them. If you can keep your opponent in your combo attack, you can effectively disable them from using special moves. You move slightly slower while in combat and even slower while in combat involving players. You do not suffer a movement penalty if you flee from battle without attacking. Attacking once will make you slower until the battle is over or you go out of range. Players can’t die while in duels but the loser will have 1HP. Winner doesn’t regain health. There are death matches, battle grounds, and some kind of objective based pvp thing that I was too low of a level to participate in. You can receive coins of some sort through these that you can redeem for special items on NPCs. World PvP is as far as I know just about being a big ass and killing everyone for no reason. It’s not Devil May Cry or anything but it’s actually fun, especially if you play wow clones.

There are an assortment of races. Some are gender locked. No classes are race locked. You can play any class as any race with only very minor differences due to racial abilities. There are no factions or pre-set racial “teams” but there are three capital cities that you start out in depending on your race. Character customization is very nice and is detailed enough that you can edit facial structure.

There are PvE and PvP servers. PvE servers don’t have any world pvp besides duels (unless in guild vs. guild?). PvP servers have some sort of territory control / politics thing and the guild that owns it gets to decide if it’s open PvP or not. In open PvP areas you get a skill at level 12 that lets you declare yourself an outlaw. In this state you can attack anyone and be attacked by anyone. 60 second cool down to turn it off I think. There’s some kind of penalty for dieing but I don’t know what it is. Haven’t died yet to find out. If you kill 6 people you get some kind of infamy state which I don’t know what it does. The second closed beta is supposed to have a PvP server to test on.

Quests are abundant so you’ll never have to flat-out grind but are so far very cookie cutter “kill X for Y amount of times”, “talk to person X, then talk to person Y”, and “gather X amount of Y”. There was only one quest that deviated from this and it was an invasion type quest where you had to protect an NPC from a swarm of NPCs that increased in difficulty over time. Can’t really comment on it too much because I’ve only done quests up to about level 15.

The game is moderately instanced. There are servers as any MP game and then there are ~20 “channels”. Each channel holds in my best guess maybe 256 people per zone. A zone is basically what you would call a map in any other game. Maps are fairly huge. I can guess from the world map there are 15-20 zones including tutorial island and the capital cities although the web site claims 80+. Dungeon “raids” are instanced as far as I know. You can only have one character per server but I think this is only for the beta. Characters can’t be played on servers they’re not created on. No mention of transfers.

The game is subscription based with no premium features. The game costs $50.00 for a digital copy, $80.00 for a physical collector’s edition. Pre-ording gives you a few in-game items. The collector’s edition comes with three extra in-game items. You can buy a digital upgrade that gives you the items for $10. The game is the standard $15.00 a month, first month is included. There is a sales tax.~~

• Sell your key get lots of money, 12 year olds are paying out the nose for a key for some reason.

• Administrators

Define “lots”.

• I haven’t heard about it until now, but definitely looks interesting and different than other MMOs.  If it’s good I might try to get into it.

• @JetBoom:

Define “lots”.

One kid was offering like 200$ paypal’s worth of any games you wanted on steam for a full beta access key (all four periods or whatever) and most people are offering 1-2 dota 2 keys which can net you other games like skyrim. The stupid economic logic of the tf2 hat market leaked out into videogames after the christmas sale.

• Game Admins

200$ paypal’s worth of any games

:link:

• Administrators

I normally never play MMORPG’s unless they are completely unique. Planetside, Darkfall, Ultima Online are the only ones I’ve ever subscribed to. I have to say that TERA definitely is different. It looks fantastic and the combat is surprisingly fluid, responsive, and not laggy at all despite the massive amount of players and mobs in one areal. I’ve only been in PvP once (a duel) but it was all about positioning and timing rather than spamming spells off cool down.

My only gripe is the PvE difficulty. It’s way too easy. You can literally just hold left click (basic combo attack) to mow through everything on the tutorial island. Only in the tutorial island’s last boss fight do you even have to dodge or block. Even then you can just party up with 5 people to beat it. I solo’d it and it’s probably the only time a mob ever got me to half health. I’ve watched archers just chain knock back mobs so they never even have to worry about moving out of the way. I’ve heard that the higher level areas are harder. I just got in to the second area and although you’d probably eventually die if you only were holding left click, you can just run away from the mobs if it comes to that.

Might buy it. They should really ramp the difficulty up though.

• A hardcore server sounds like what you’d want, if it’s too hard everyone just gets angry and leaves.

• Administrators

People on /v/ said mobs will start hitting you for 200-300 health constantly but I wonder if by that level you’ll have maximum health proportionate to that anyway. I’ll wait and see.

• Administrators

1st post updated.

• Two friends of mine have been following this ever since the start and when the loli race used to be the females of whatever the animals are called, like they were just exactly the way they were now in terms of appearance but instead were apparently getting it on with animals.

Anyways it does look alright and I appreciate the combat style they’ve gone for but I’d never subscribe to an mmo, no mmo I’ve played has made me think I’d enjoy playing it for several months after the first free one.

Guy I know is making a female character using the excuse he always uses “If I’m playing a game all day I’d rather stare at the back of a nice looking female than stare at the back of a male all day” essentially his argument if you say anything about it is that it’s gay to have a male character cause apparently you’ll be staring at his ass all day. :king:

• Administrators

Ass argument is not true, never was. Don’t ever believe anyone who tells you that.

Saying you’ll never subscribe to an mmo is dumb. You’ll buy AAA titles and play them for less time though right?

• I haven’t bought a new (as in recently released) game in a very long time. Last one I bought was Red Dead Redemption and I’ve gotten over a year out of it.

Tera might be something I’d be interested in but because I can’t run it I’ll just have to see how everything goes and see what friends say and then I think I’ll try it once I have the means to run it. I just really like the fact that combat is manual and not click this, press button, win

• I’m waiting for a good mmo that’s got great reviews and is science fiction. So far, the only one I’m considering is Knights of the Old Republic. I looked at the Star Trek one but didn’t like the look, and people say EVE is a grindfest. Anyone have any other suggestions? I’ve played some other mmos, but the only one I’ve actually thought worthwhile was WoW, and even then I found it kind of boring unless my friends were on.

• Administrators

@Pseudohorse:

I’m waiting for a good mmo that’s got great reviews and is science fiction. So far, the only one I’m considering is Knights of the Old Republic.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. wwwww

• @JetBoom:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. wwwww

So I take it the game is shit? Way to go bioware.

Checked Metacritic. So much for the good reviews thing. Why do people like to take my favorite older games and break them?

• @Pseudohorse:

So I take it the game is shit? Way to go bioware.

Checked Metacritic. So much for the good reviews thing. Why do people like to take my favorite older games and break them?

All aboard the TORtanic! Last call! All aboard!

Anyway I’ve seen this on /v/ for the last 2 months and was gonna jump in if I had time, and seeing as you think it’s new and enticing I’ll give it a shot. Are there any good gameplay videos up? Just to see what it all looks like.

• Administrators

youtube it. Not hard at all.

Beta schedule.

CBT1: February 10~12
    CBT2: February 24~26
    CBT3: March 9~11
    CBT4: March 23~25
    CBT5: April 6~8
    =Wipe=
    Reservation
    OBT: Apr 19~22
    Head Start: April 28 - May 1

This should help if you want to play the game before it’s released. You pre-order through Amazon and they’ll give you a code that lets you play every beta period. Only when the game is released will they charge you. You can just cancel the pre-order before the release date and you won’t be billed but still play the beta.

• Administrators

Huge bosses is probably the reason why I’ll be playing this. Take a look at what JetBoom had to fight while questing. Keep in mind it brings you to an inch of your life if you get hit once and has a trillion health. http://www.twitch.tv/jetboom/b/309689305

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.